Nektoon secures seed funding for Squirro
Investment in creators of award-winning Memonic app will accelerate launch of Squirro. Squirro creates a living collection of content thats updated continuously and automatically in a digest that can be shared.
Nektoon AG, the company behind the award-winning web-clipper and note-taking app Memonic, today announced it received more than more than $1.5M in seed funding from an international consortium of seasoned technology investors. The funding will be used to support the launch of the company’s new personal digital research app Squirro, planned for the second quarter of 2012.
Memonic is app to clip, save and share web content in a personal online notebook. Squirro will extend Memonic’s mantra of “keep the essential” to “harvest the essential” with content curation, bundled tools, community connections and personalized workspaces.
Squirro creates a living collection of content that’s updated continuously and automatically in a digest that can be shared with colleagues and friends. More specific than search and broader than feeds, Squirro scans multiple sources to find the most relevant information on topics of interest and includes tools to clip, save and share. Squirro will offer integration with Salesforce.com, SAP, Highrise and other enterprise applications to deliver related internal and external content with business data.
The investment consortium includes experienced persons of the B2B information industry:
• Alex Ott, founder of CrossContinental Ventures, board member of QlikTech and former executive of SAP and Siebel. Ott led the investment and will join the Squirro board.
• Dr. Friedrich Georg Hoepfner, named Germany’s “Business Angel of the Year” in 2010
• Andy Honess, former executive of Siebel Systems and QlikTech
• Måns Hultman, founder of Tassaka and former chairman and CEO of QlikTech
• Raul Vejar, former executive of SAP and its Business Objects division
• Paul Wahl, currently Executive-in-Residence with Accel Partners, board member of QlikTech and former executive of SAP and Siebel.
Squirro is set to launch this spring in a private beta. Interested individuals can sign up to participate at http://soon.squirro.com.
Several start-up awards launched
Registration is open for the Swiss Technology Award and the Heuberger Winterthur Jungunternehmerpreis. And there is still a chance to participate in the next International Create Challenge. The application deadline was postponed to 23 June.
The Editorial Team